Backup your Gmail messages with Google Takeout
Here are some steps you can follow to back up Gmail through the Google Takeout service.
- Open your browser and head over to the Google Account website.
- Click on the Data & Privacy tab.
- Now, scroll down, and under the Download or Delete section, click on the Download your data option.
- It will now redirect you to the Google Takeout page.
- By default, all Google products are already selected. If you only want to backup Gmail, click on Deselect all.
- Scroll down and locate Mail from the list, and check its box.
- After the selection, click on the All Mail Data included button.
- From the pop-up, you can either check the option to include all messages in the mail or deselect this option and choose only specific categories.
- Once the selection is complete, click on the OK button to continue.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Next Step button.
- From the Create a new Export page, you can set the delivery method, frequency, file type, and size according to your preference.
- Next, click on the Create Export.
- After the export is complete, click on the Download button.
- If prompted, enter your Gmail account’s password and hit the Next button.
- You will also receive a mail in your inbox containing the backup file.
Official Google Support Article
Here is the official Google support article detailing how you can download your data: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en