SOLIDWORKS Education Edition
- Administrative Use
- Administrative Use
- Legacy VCL
- Eos Labs
- Specific Teaching Lab
- University Owned Computers
- Virtualized environments
- Personally Owned Computers
The complete CAD teaching tool. Featuring software plus a full curriculum and interactive courseware, SOLIDWORKS Education Edition is your all-inclusive resource for teaching 3D mechanical CAD, design validation, and data management.
- The SOLIDWORKS Education Edition license covers instructional use only.
- You can access Education Edition remotely using Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD). Please see the "How can I access SOLIDWORKS remotely?" portion of the SOLIDWORKS Information page.
- This license does not cover research usage, except when used for classwork in a for-credit class. See SOLIDWORKS Research for more details on using SOLIDWORKS for research purposes.
- This license does not cover use for purposes not directly related to instructional classwork; e.g., use with 3D printers or milling machines is not allowed. See SOLIDWORKS Research for more details on using SOLIDWORKS for non-instructional purposes.
- If you are using the campus license server (as with the "packaged installers" below), you will need to connect to the NCSU VPN to run SOLIDWORKS.
A list of included components is located here: SOLIDWORKS Education Edition Software
- SOLIDWORKS Education Edition can only be used for instruction/coursework.
- SOLIDWORKS Education Edition can be installed on computers owned by students or by NC State.
- This is one of three versions (Education, Student, Research) of SOLIDWORKS licensed for NC State. Please see the SOLIDWORKS Information page for details on which version to use and how you can get access to it.
- Note: Students installing SOLIDWORKS on computers they personally own should download and install Student Edition using the instructions here:
SOLIDWORKS 2021-2022 Student Edition: Installation Instructions
- The stub installer is a small initial download. You select options according to the below instructions and enter licensing info. Then the rest of the files are downloaded and installed directly from SOLIDWORKS.
- The basic packaged installer includes just the necessary components (SOLIDWORKS and eDrawings) that you need for a basic course like GC 120, already downloaded in this package. You just unzip the installer, run startSWinstall.hta, and click "Install".
- If you are running SOLIDWORKS Education Edition on campus, as long as you are connected to the campus network (wired or wireless), you do not need to do anything else. If you are running SOLIDWORKS from off campus, you will need to connect to the NCSU VPN before starting SOLIDWORKS.
- If the license can not be found when you start the program, you will get an error and the program will quit.
|Stub Installer||Basic Packaged Installer|
|Initial Download Size||small (32 MB)||large (4+ GB)|
|Components included||you select during installation||SOLIDWORKS and eDrawings (sufficient for GC 120)|
|Installation process||manual (you select options and enter info during setup)||automated (click "Install" and it runs)|
|Download considerations||requires fast network connection (e.g., on-campus) for the 30-60 minutes it takes to download and install SOLIDWORKS||once installer is downloaded, you can run it with or without a fast network connection|
Log in to view download links